I'm not sure what internal blanks means.. but I'll take a stab and say
"no", there are going to be NO blanks once I start reading the column
unless there are no more values to read... null or "" would be fine for
a stopping point.

also, what is makepy.py? I'm still working through a couple books on
python, so I haven't got all the tricks yet :]

Thanks