On Sat, 2006-10-21 at 12:45 +0200, euoar wrote:
> I'm trying to learn how to send e-mails with python. But I always become
> this error: socket.error: (110, 'Connection timed out').
It sounds like you were unable to connect to the mail server.  That
could be due to a large number of network issues and is probably not a
Python bug.

from a terminal/cmd window try
        telnet smtpserver 25
That will connect to the smtpserver on the proper port (and works for
most operating systems).  I expect that to fail.  Your Python code will
not work until you can actually make a connection.

Here's what I get trying to reach a non-existent smtpserver:

telnet 10.10.10.10 25
Trying 10.10.10.10...
telnet: connect to address 10.10.10.10: Connection timed out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

> Is there
> something bad in the code? Does anyone knows what could be wrong? I'm
> using python from linux, and have no proxy...
>
> The code that I use is this (of course, filling with my persona data the
> " "):
>
> import smtplib
>
> smtpserver = 'my smtp server goes here'
> AUTHREQUIRED = 1
> smtpuser = 'my user name'
> smtppass = 'my password'
>
> RECIPIENTS = ['the recipients']
> SENDER = 'my mail'
> mssg = "una prueba desde python"
>
> session = smtplib.SMTP(smtpserver)
> if AUTHREQUIRED:
>     session.login(smtpuser, smtppass)
> smtpresult = session.sendmail(SENDER, RECIPIENTS, mssg)
>
> if smtpresult:
>     errstr = ""
>     for recip in smtpresult.keys():
>         errstr = """Could not delivery mail to: %s
>
> Server said: %s
> %s
>
> %s""" % (recip, smtpresult[recip][0], smtpresult[recip][1], errstr)
>     raise smtplib.SMTPException, errstr
>

> Thank you for your help

Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp