On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Jorge Azedo wrote:

First off, I don't know if I'm doing this right, I've never used a mailing list before, so I'm not sure if I'm sending this to the right place.

Thanks for all the help you guys gave me ( e vocês também pessoal, é bom saber que há pessoal português por aqui :-) ). I'll try and read as many tutorials as I can and start to work on some programs of my own. Let's hope I can make something useful or fun.

I'd second the recommendation to Dive into Python; it has great practical examples. Feel free to ask questions on the list; we're all here to help each other.

As a non-Python tangent: if you'd like to read a textbook on learning introductory programming, you might be interested in How to Design Programs:

    http://www.htdp.org/

The first few chapters might feel a little slow, and the language used is not Python. But even with that, the material in the book is top notch, better than most introductory textbooks I've seen. If I were to point someone new to computing toward learning to program, this is the book I'd be oblidged to recommend.

Good luck to you!