Brian,

It's not a permissions issue...

(from the original e-mail...see below)
 >> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/test$ ls -la shebangtest.py
 >> -rwxr-xr-- 1 brian brian 68 2006-11-04 02:29 shebangtest.py

This is clearly executable by brian, and clearly being executed by
brian.  The shebang line is correct (#!/usr/bin/python).

The problem is *how* you are executing the file.  If you simply type in
the filename, your shell looks on your PATH to find the file.  Unless
~/test is on PATH, you'll get a "command not found" error.

Instead type in:

./shebangtest.py

and see if that works.  "./" tells the shell to look in your current
working directory for the file.

Let me know if that solved the problem...

Jonathon