-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Hugo
González Monteverde
Sent: 26 January 2007 12:25 AM
To: tutor@python.org
Subject: Re: [Tutor] Python code to connect using PPPoE

Hi Johan,

PPPoE is both in the Linux Kernel (for the low level work) and as some
executables and scripts.

It fou want to establish a connection from a Python script (E.G. ehn the
computer has no internet access and you need it) The best way would be to
call the appropriate utilities, and parse their output. This means calling
adsl-connect, ficonfig, and the like, maybe parsing the output from
ifconfig. Take a look at the module named subprocess to do that.

Reimplementing these utilities in Python is some work, but doable.
Implementing PPPoE in Python, reading the device files and all that...
well... it's almost nonsense. For this, you have to use the kernel.

Johan Geldenhuys wrote:
> Kent,
> I want to establish the connection with Python. I think in Linux you
> can use a PPPoE package to make life easier, but I don't want to use
> the Kernel to do that.
>
> Johan

01:12 PM