I sorry, maybe I am stupid at the moment but I cannot follow your
question,....

1) User can select a date, or a range of dates.

2) At the moment you are only able to let the user select a date that
has entered the database today.

3) A value from a table called duratation will be returned for the
selected date?

4) It will only work if the date is saved in this? "2007-09-01", way.,
What other way can the date be saved?

5) You want to now how you can improve your program?

Can you give some more info please, again sorry if others understeand it
perfectly,
Righard