"Fred P" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

> I am completely new at python, but not new to programming or
> scripting.  I have a couple of years of LUA scripting experience,
> about a year of C++ classes, and used to be very efficient at
> c-shell
> scripting in unix.
>
> My question for you guys:
>
> 1) How do I get Started?

Download/install python

> 2) Recommend any specific Books?
> 3) Any online tutors/ forums that would benefit a newbie

There are a bunch of them in the beginners section of the python web
site.
The best starting point is the official tutor which can be skipped
through
in a half day and will give you all the basics (and quite a lot of the
non
basics too)

> 4) Any online classes that teach python?  I have taken online c++
> courses, and found them helpful.  I was hoping to find something for
> python.

You might like the ShowMeDo videos.

> My main objective is to write scripts for the following type of
> applications
> File management, file copies/syncs/ compares
> Text manipulation - like parsing text files to replace or augment
> specific values
> Integration into current applications to write redundant routines
> and
> maybe some day plugins

You might even find my tutorial useful since it targets those kinds of
tasks.
It is aimed at absolute beginners however so may well be too basic for
you.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld