jeff witt wrote:

> here are a few questions that go through my head...
>  how does python get applied to a GUI?

There are many possibilities, see
http://wiki.python.org/moin/CategoryPyGUI

Also you can use native window toolkits on Windows and Mac.

> is
> it accepted in the world of programming professionally?  ( i am
> interested in a career too, as well as a new hobby),.

Yes.
http://jobsearch.monster.com/Search.aspx?q=python&fn=&lid=&re=130&cy=us&brd=1&JSNONREG=1

>   i use linux, and python seems to be everywhere for linux,.. and i read
> that it works on windows too but is it accepted in "those" circles?

Yes

> what is pythons strengths and weaknesses, IE. web/Internet, or program
> development, operating system things,...

Pretty much anything except operating systems, device drivers and
real-time programs:
http://www.python.org/about/apps/

>  what would you (or you guys)
> recomend for the first language?  or like my brother says, "just learn
> something and stop asking me questions"

Python, of course!

> if python was released in 1991 how long will it remain a current or a
> applicable language? or i guess i am asking, what is the normal life of
> a programming language before it is obsolete?

Python popularity is increasing, by some measures at least:
http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm
http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/05/state_of_the_co_10.html

> well, like i mentioned, any help or info would be greatly appreciated,
> i have been to some of the beginner sites and tried the whole "hello
> world" thing, and i unfortunately realize i am years from actually
> contributing to any open source project,  (especially since i am still
> struggling with the file system in linux [only been using it for 8or9
> months])

There are quite a few good Python tutorials for non-programmers:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

A good book for a beginner is Dawson's "Python Programming for the
absolute beginner".

Kent