Que,

I haven't tested the script, but please note that patt.match(line)
will only succeed when the pattern is at the start of the line.  Use
patt.search(line) if you want to find the pattern anywhere within the
line.

Based on your desired highlight, you might want to use the pattern,
patt = re.compile(r"~02(\d*)~")

Also, your outfile.write command below doesn't provide any substitute
for %s.   Presumably you mean outfile.write("%s\n" % m.group(1)) .

Good luck,
Michael