Julia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Lowell Tackett
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

There's an essential (in my opinion) principle of learning
programming...learning is not only absorbing stuff, but what I call (and I'm
certain it didn't originate with me) "finger time".    Mr. Dawson's book
provides that cycle of, 'do...feedback...oh, yea!' like nothing else available.

Of course, a person is gonna need to jump away...this book provides concrete
milestones from which to jump...

Lowell T.

  That was a really interesting post Lowell. Great feedback! I've thought about
something like this but I haven't been sure how to express it (English isn't my
mother tongue). You also set a better tone then I used in my first reply. I
apologize for it.

   What you are talking about is very important. Succeeding and making
something work is a thrill and it will motivate one try even harder the next
time.

   For me "Beginning Python" provided a better ground for this learning
experience because I got to try many variations of the many important parts of
Python. I wrote the code from the examples and I saw it work. With Dawson there
where some really extensive examples but I didn't really understand how the
isolated parts worked. There where many more "oh, this is cool" thoughts with
"Beginning Python". I also believe that by using a more technical book I gained
an experience with the programming methology (e.g. coding and debugging code).

   What I am claiming is that the productive experience is greater with
Beginning Python than with Dawson. Don't be afraid of the big and more
technical books. They are big, but big means there's more fun inside.

   /Julia

Ya know what?...if we all had the same opinions and perspective, this forum
wouldn't exist!  We wouldn't need it (well, yea, I am kinda overlooking the
pedagogical value).  Actually it was [in part] your provocative comments that
inspired my response (but also, I harbor very strong loyalty to Mr. Dawson's
book).  Please!! no apologies necessary.  I am in fact inspired to look at your
arguments more closely and see what valuable slant I may have boxed myself out
of (sometimes, tunnel-vision tends to creep in.)