Ignore the 'adjacent items' remark.   The rest is correct ie. looking for all
strings containing a substring x.

----- Original Message -----
From: Kent Johnson
To: Dinesh B Vadhia
Cc: tutor@python.org
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:32 AM
Subject: Re: [Tutor] Searching through large number of string items

Dinesh B Vadhia wrote:
> The 10,000 string items are sorted.
>
> The way the autocomplete works is that when a user enters a char eg.
> 'f', the 'f' is sent to the server and returns strings with the char
> 'f'.

If it is all strings containing 'f' (not all strings starting with 'f')
then the binary search will not work. A database might work better for that.

You can get all strings containing some substring x with
[ item for item in list if x in item ]

Of course that is back to linear search. You mentioned before that you
want to also show adjacent items? I don't know how to do that with a
database either.

Kent