I used the optparse module since that is exactly what I wanted.  Here is my
code:

import sys
from optparse import OptionParser
import os

parser = OptionParser()
parser.add_option("-i", "--input", dest="infile",
help="input FILE to convert", metavar="FILE")
parser.add_option("-o", "--output", dest="outfile",
help="output FILE to convert to", metavar="FILE")
(options, args) = parser.parse_args()

if not os.path.isfile(options.infile):
    print "Input files does not exit...Quitting"
    sys.exit()
elif os.path.isfile(options.outfile):
    print "Output file exists, Remove it first"
    sys.exit()

Thanks everyone.