On Apr 18, 2008, at 8:01 AM, Hansen, Mike wrote:
> IMHO, I think before anyone jumps into using a framework, they should
> understand the basics of cgi programming. Maybe do just a small
> exercise with simple form processing. After that exercise, then move
> on to one of the frameworks that make a lot of that grunt work easier.
> Jumping into a framework right away is like trying to run before you
> can crawl. There's a lot going on with the many frameworks(URL
> mapping, templates, ORM, persistence...). When you have some basic
> understanding of web programming, it might help you figure out why
> something isn't working properly in the framework. I'm curious about
> other tutor list member's thoughts on this. Am I out to lunch on this
> viewpoint?

I think that's exactly right, and I'd add that if you don't know the
bits and bobs of the HTTP protocol, it can also make it difficult to
pick up the frameworks. Django was fine for me but I found CherryPy/
Paste/other low-level frameworks very confusing until I realized I
didn't really understand how they fit into and handle the mechanisms
of HTTP. Doing some background reading helped me see the fundamental
similarities between them.

Eric