"Marc Tompkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

As to finding disk usage on Windows I found this
snippet on an MSDN forum:

------------------
>....I don't believe
there is any direct way in Windows to do that but WMI might
provide a way.  Nevertheless this is not what you'd want to

Which is rather scary...

Not really, just written by someone who 1) had something else in mind,

I just meant the fact that Microsoft didn't appear to provide
an API function to find it directly was scary - especially since
its something they report in Explorer as you noted earlier.

That being said, I've recently been buying 500GB hard
drives for $100.

The cost of disk space is frighteningly cheap.
I remember buying a Terabyte of storage for a mainframe
about 20 years ago and it cost over $2 million. Now I can
buy a Terabyte of NAS for $200!

That's why I've stopped worrying about lost space due to
block sizes! :-)

Alan G.