On Sun, June 8, 2008 1:54 am, dave selby wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I am trying to improve my code quality and have started using doc
> strings. What format do you guys use for your doc strings ? I have 'made
> up' the following general format ...

Your made-up format looks good.  It's great that you give thought to it.

I've seen the style-guide where it is suggested that the first line of the
doc string for a function is a very short description, starting with a
verb, like you did.  That description should fit on one line.

Then there's a blank line.

Then there's the bigger explanation, calling instructions, return values,
exceptions raised, copyright notice, maybe.

A good thing is to type help("your_module") in the interpreter so that you
can see if you like the doc string and if it meshes nicely with what the
help facility provides for free.

But, mostly, I have to say that your instinct is good.

Marilyn Davis