I use the same books - Learning Python and Core Python Programming, 2nd ed.
I found I got about halfway through Learning Python before I switched to CPP
and had no problems. I also use "Python Phrasebook" (Brad Dayley, 2007) as a
handy reference guide to some common problems as well.

Core Python Programming, 2nd ed. (Wesley Chun, 2007) is my most frequent
instructional guide, though.