From: Jeff Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Alan Gauld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, 25 June, 2008 9:51:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Tutor] python web documentation ( without frameworks?)

This was crazy. The presenter at our Python user group last night left everything at home. So he proceeded to borrow someone's laptop, download and install Python and web.py (http://webpy.org/) and we all went through building the demo which displayed records in an SQLite table and allowed you to add one and redisplay. I have used Django and web.py works pretty much the same way using templates and all, but web.py is significantly "lighter".

You might want to install web.py and go through the demo. Put it in a folder called "deleteme" and you can just delete the folder if you're not interested.

Alan Gauld wrote:
"Patrick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

cherrypy, django and turbogears but for some reason I just don't want to use a framework. Are there any current books you could recommend for general python web programming? Most of the general web programming books seem to be from 2004 or before.
There's a good reason for that! Vanilla CGI - the most basic web
programming mechanism available is a rsource hog, non scaleable
and very hard to maintain beyiond small trivial projects. So people
have moved to Frameworks which offer better performance,
easier implementation and far better maintainablility. All Frameworks
aim to achieve that, the choice is pretty much a personal prefernce.

The good news is that if you want to continuously reinvent the wheel
by using vanilla CGI the books from 2004 will all pretty much still work.
CGI hasn't changed much and neither have the core web modules in
Python.

HTH,