josetjr wrote...

>Hello, I am taking python this summer, and have run into a problem.

Let me suggest some improvements. You can process all the lines in a
textfile like this:

    for line in open("dates.txt").readlines():
        print line

Furthermore, if you have a string in the form of "ABC=DEF", you can split it
like this:

    key,value=s.split("=")

To enumerate the keys of a dictionary in alphabetical order, you can use:

    for k in sorted(d):
        print k

So, your little homework program becomes more pythonic like this:

history={}
for line in open("dates.txt").readlines():
    line=line.strip("\n\"") # clean the line a bit; strip off the newline
and quotes
    date,event=line.split("=")
    history[date]=event

for k in sorted(history):
    print k,history[k]

Have a nice day,

--
"The ability of the OSS process to collect and harness
the collective IQ of thousands of individuals across