Morgan Thorpe wrote:
Hello.

Hi.
I'm am very new to the whole programming sence.

Welcome.

I am trying to catch on but as soon as i want to write a program i've been told to use like 'notepad' in windows XP and save it as a .py file
i have gotten this far. Am i wrong so far?

No. There are also IDEs such as IDLE and Python For Windows that make development easier (for many of us).

If i am right why is it that i can't run it in anyway besides it opening in 'notepad' i've tried opening with Python but it doesn't work.

Now comes the art of asking good (effective) questions.

1 - provide a subject (as I did)

2 - tell us what you tried (opening with Python is too vague) Example "At the command prompt I entered "c:\\python25\\python test.py"

3 - tell us what happened. Example "I got the message "'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

4 - reply to the list.

Those are just examples. What did you do "open with Python" I'll bet you picked that from the context menu. If that is the case did you see a dos window flash ever so briefly? Try adding raw_input("press any key to exit") at the end of your program. Of course that will work only if there are no errors in the program.

Best way for now is from the command prompt (like "c:\\python25\\python test.py")

--
Bob Gailer
919-636-4239 Chapel Hill, NC