"Dick Moores" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

1. The turtle has some behavior I don't see how to eliminate. If you
refer to lines 223, 225, 227, 229, etc., you'll see that the turtle
always faces in the direction it is moving when drawing a rectangle.

That is correct behaviour for a turtle!
Remember turtle graphics are notionally about moving a physical
drawing device (the turtle) around on the floor or desk. If the turtle
doesn't turn to face the direction of travel it can't travel that way!

IMHO that's just a feature of the technology and any other behaviour
would be out of keeping with the intent.

Using the Python2.6 beta2 version of turtle.py, the turtle can be seen at each corner spinning to orient itself to the new direction. I don't
want this.

While far from common in turtle implementations (I have only seen
it in my old CP/M Logo version) it is a feature that would be true
of a physical turtle too. Its not really a bug but a "feature" I guess!

2. The turtle can also be seen moving from the last corner of the last
rectangle to the first corner of the next. I don't want this.

Again true of a physical turtle... But if you set speed to fastest
does that work? Also in the old turtle moduile there was a way to
hide the turtles movements completely and just draw the finished
graphic - which was orders of magnitude faster for complex
shapes - is that still available in turtle26?

One way to hide the turtle would be top change colour to the
background color. That would make themoving turtle invisible...

3. When the screen is cleared between cycles by line 367, the blank
screen shows for a second or so. I don't want this.
In my program using the old turtle I've had to create
colored-backgrounds by drawing a rectangle almost as large as the
screen (see my draw_background() beginning at line 365). With the new
turtle, the background color can be set by, for example,
screen.bgcolor("orange"). But even so, in the V16 I was trying to
write, that blank screen still shows for a second or so. With the old
turtle, the transition from one "background" to another seems
instantaneous. No white blank screen visible at all.

Sounds like a valid complaint that one...

4. I've attempted to make the turtle invisible, but haven't succeeded.

Should be possible to set color to bgcolor. but set it back to
draw the lines or they too will be invisible!

I'm guessing that all the problems I've mentioned aren't the result of
bugs--rather, I just don't understand the doc.

Matybe more not understanding(remembering) the origin of turtle graphics.
It was for kids to understand computer graphics... Seeing the shapes
being drawn is a big part of that.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld