Forgot to send to list...

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 7:45 PM, Py Hex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> When I run this:

> <type 'str'>
>
> I get a string type back, i.e, '0xC' not 0xC
>
> On the other hand, if I use 0x with data, Python understands it is hex data
> and not a string value.

> <type 'int'>

You missed trying something:

>>> e = 0xCD
>>> e
205
>>> type(e)
<type 'int'>

It doesn't store the value as hex data, it stores it as an integer.

I'm really not sure about anything else (i.e. converting the value to an
integer - I've tried and int(e) doesn't work when it's a hex string) though.

HTH, Wayne

p.s. After a quick Google, I discovered how to convert the other way:
int('0xCD', 0) will give you the integer value of your string (if it's hex.
If you're doing octal you'll want int(myOctal, 8) )

--
To be considered stupid and to be told so is more painful than being called
gluttonous, mendacious, violent, lascivious, lazy, cowardly: every weakness,