Title: Signature.html
I didn't see any posts with curses in the Subject, but my participation here 2/2008 to now with a hole in the middle where I turned to other matters than Python. Is there an archive?

Before GUIs, crude scatter plots and histograms on TTYs and IBM electronic typewriters were used with only the symbols on the keyboard. Some were pretty decent and effective.

I don't really want to dabble with graphics at this point, although I have some months ago, but maybe I can grab something very elementary and use it. At the moment, I don't want to get into all the finery of using GUIs. However, it seems as though there ought to be some really simple set up to just produce a scatter plot. Maybe I'm overestimating the difficulty.

Alan Gauld wrote:

"Wayne Watson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
Is there a text graphics module that does say scatter plots or histograms?
I'm thinking of stuff prior to the graphics era of computing.

Not that I'm aware of.
The best I can think of is to use curses - see a recent thread.

Other than that you can create a 2D table in memory then
dump that to a text based screen.

Best I can think of.

There wasn't much prior to graphics in computing, even many of the
earliest computer programs produced graphs, it was just that they
did it on paper. Remember the earliest keyboards were attached to
printers so most early graphics programs simply printed a dot matrix
pattern to the printer.

The plot utility can stuill do that today. And Gnuplot - for which
there is a Python interface - is a souped up version that can
display on graphics terminals too.

HTH,

           "Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing wrong
            with this, except that it ain't so."   -- Mark Twain

                    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>