Dragos Ionescu wrote:
----- Original Message ----
From: bob gailer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: tutor@python.org
Sent: Saturday, October 4, 2008 10:15:10 PM
Subject: Re: [Tutor] bug in exam score conversion program

Lots of good responses. And now for something completely different:

import string
x = string.maketrans('567891', 'FDCBAA')
score = raw_input('score>')
print "Your grade is:", score[0].translate(x)
--
Bob Gailer
Chapel Hill NC

When we take the time to be aware of our feelings and
needs we have more satisfying interatctions with others.

Nonviolent Communication provides tools for this awareness.

As a coach and trainer I can assist you in learning this process.

What is YOUR biggest relationship challenge?

Wow! Bob Gailer's solution is so elegant. Can someone plese explain what is the algorithm behind string.maketrans. More exactly, how is this function doing the coding?

Actually, I don't think the point was to be elegant as much
as to get you thinking about something you might not have
explored--never hurts to keep learning new features so you
don't inefficiently apply the same old small set of things
to new problems.

You wouldn't *really* want to implement a production grade
system like that, cute though it is.  This is setting up a
translation table mapping the first character in the score
to a letter grade.  So a 9 is changed to an A.  The obvious
problem though is how it handles a score of, say, "1".  Or,
for that matter, "37".

 http://scripts.mit.edu/~dionescu/pyworld/