On Nov 7, 2008, at 12:14 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been teaching myself python for a few months and I'm becoming frustrated because I've kind of hit a wall in terms of learning new information. In an effort to continue to learn I've found some material on more intermediate/advanced topics like linked lists, nodes, trees, etc. However, it's kind of like reading a math textbook - the tutorials do a decent job of explaining the material but it's all kind of theoretical, and I'm not sure how I'd apply these concepts in real world applications, or incorporate them into my code. Does anyone have any suggestions for learning about real world application of more advanced concepts?

Are you writing real-world applications and using them? My (admittedly limited) experience has taught me that the real complexities of programming don't lie in obscure data structures or rarely-used functions, but in the practical, real-world issues that arise from creating actual applications: OOP best practices, application architecture, programming paradigms, recurring patterns, even just plain-old programming gotchas (though there are fewer of these in Python than other languages, thankfully). In other words, stuff that isn't necessarily described in the manuals, but that becomes evident once you've made the same mistakes two or three times, and start thinking about modifying your approach to programming. I've never used a tree, and a heap only once, but I feel like I've dipped into some pretty mind-bending stuff in terms of how I've arranged programs. Take metaclasses, for instance: no description of metaclasses I've read ever made sense to me; it only started to come clear after I'd looked at a module I was writing, realized that there was something really fundamentally wrong with it, and then slowly realized that the answer was metaclasses. About eleven lines of metaclass programming, as it turned out, but those seven lines turned my brain inside out for a bit. Not boring in the least!

Yrs,
Eric

Also, are there other concepts that I should focus on? Frankly, I'm a bit bored because I've hit this ceiling, and I'm not really sure where to go to next.

Thanks,
Ben