Alan,

Thank you for the clarification. Using that as my guide, I revamped my solution to this small challenge and attempted to make the script as concise as possible. The challenge is at the Challenge-You web page,
http://www.challenge-you.com/challenge?id=61

I am relatively certain I could have made it more concise with some more detailed examination. If there are some obvious glaring deficiencies, please, anyone feel free to comment.

Thanks,

Robert Berman

#!/usr/bin/env python
#findsum.py

import string

def openinput(thepath = '/home/bermanrl/usbdirbig/Challenges/sum.txt'):
   ''' Opens text file '''
   try:
       infile = open(thepath,  'r')
   except:
print 'Open file failure.' return infile

def runprocess():
   '''Reads file and passes string to parsing function '''
   bigtotal = 0
   myfile = openinput()
   for line in myfile:
       jlist = line.split()
       for x in jlist:
           bigtotal += int(x)
   print bigtotal
   return

if __name__ == '__main__':
   runprocess()

Alan Gauld wrote:

"Robert Berman" <berma...@cfl.rr.com> wrote

Perhaps i should not have said the most Python correct.
It looks as if it may well be the approach using the least
amount of work the interpreter must complete.

That's generally true. Python can always do things the long way but its
generally more efficient both in programmer time and performance
speed to use the built-in functions/methods as much as possible.
Most of them are written in C after all!

Alan G