On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Kent Johnson wrote:

> Ah, I see. I imagined something more ambitious, that treated the lines
> as fields.

I find that the more ambitious my projects become, the less likely I am to
complete them!  With two toddlers, on a good day, I get 30 to 60 minutes
of discretionary time, some of which I can do some coding!

> You are using csv to do kind of a smart split() function.

That's an excellent summary.

> I would look at pyparsing for that, and make sure cuetools won't do
> what you want.

csv seems to be working well for me, and it's a standard piece of Python,
which I prefer to use.  I don't think I'm twisting it out of its intended
useh: despite its name, it's really about splitting up uniform delimited
input lines.  The ability to use other delimeters and to trim the
left-padding seems consistent with my use of it.

The time it took between thinking of using CSV and getting it to actually
work was probably a lot less time than I would have spend downloading and
installing pyparsing, and figuring out how it worked.

Thanks for the cuetools tip.  I hadn't heard of it before.  I spent some
time looking for tools related to Audacity and CUE files, and couldn't
find much (apart from one forum posting pointing out that Audacity didn't
support CUE files, but it would be pretty easy to convert a CUE file to an
Audacity label file).