Title: Signature.html
Good to hear there's nothing deeper in terms of some Python OOP feature. Thanks the global tips.

I think I'll be replacing some that sdict code, so that it's less dependent upon hard coding the "user" variables.

Of course, it took me a lot longer than 2 minutes to put that together. :-)

Alan Gauld wrote:

"Wayne Watson" <sierra_mtnv...@sbcglobal.net> wrote

The question here is how is sdict being used here in terms
of its need within the GUI?  Probably if I had written the
program from scratch, I would have made all these
variables global to Sentinel_GUI.

Most programmers try to avoid global variables as a
general principle. In this case the programmer has
opted for a dict and is then able to pass the values
around with a single variable, as in:

   def DisplaySettings(self):
       print "OSett self = ", self, "type =", type(self) <<---debug code
       sdict = {}                       <<-------- local sdict
       sdict[ "ok" ] = False            <<---- ok
... more sdict ...
       dialog = DisplaySettingsDialog( self.master, sdict )

class DisplaySettingsDialog(tkSimpleDialog.Dialog):

   def __init__(self, parent, sdict):
       self.sdict = sdict               <<-------
       tkSimpleDialog.Dialog.__init__(self, parent)

You could use globals if both classes were in the samemodule,
or import the module wherever they values were needed. But
by keeping the values in a dict and keeping the dict as a
class variable the programmer potentially has more control
over access.

Thats the only reason I can see for it  - after all of 2 minutes
reading the code :-)...

            Shhhh, quiet. I'm thinking about filling this space.

                    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>