>> how does one go about setting a PYTHON path environment variable on
>> Mac OS X 10.4?
>
>i set up my .profile in the Terminal.app (UNIX) with a text file with
>the following line:
>PATH=$PATH:/Applications/Autodesk/maya8.5/Maya.app/Contents/bin

You should do more or less the same -- edit .bash_profile file and add these
lines (replace [...] with actual path):

PATH="[/absolute/path/to/folder/you/want]:${PATH}"
export PATH

Please note that if you add your new directory at the end of PATH (as in your
example), then this new directory will be searched for executables last. In my
example, when you add new directory at the beginning, this new new directory
will be searched first.
This could be useful if you have several version of Python on you computer.

Good luck,
Valdas