Hi,

I must convert a history file in PDF format that goes from May of 1988 to current date. Readings are taken twice weekly and consist of the date taken mm/dd/yy and the results appearing as a 10 character numeric + special characters sequence. This is obviously an easy setup for a very small database application with the date as the key, the result string as the data.

My problem is converting the PDF file into a text file which I can then read and process. I do not see any free python libraries having this capacity. I did see a PDFPILOT program for Windows but this application is being developed on Linux and should also run on Windows; so I do not want to incorporate a Windows only application.

I do not think i am breaking any new frontiers with this application. Have any of you worked with such a library, or do you know of one or two I can download and work with? Hopefully, they have reasonable documentation.

My development environment is:

Python
Linux
Ubuntu version 8.10

Thanks for any help  you might be able to offer.

Robert Berman