"Dinesh B Vadhia" <dineshbvad...@hotmail.com> wrote

Say, you have a dictionary of integers, are the integers stored in a compressed integer format or as integers ie. are integers encoded before being stored in the dictionary and then decoded when read?

I can't think of any reason to compress them, I imagine they are stored as integers. But given the way Python handlers integers with arbitrarily long numbers etc it may well be more complex than a simple integer (ie 4 byte number). But any form of compression would be likely to hit performamce so I doubt that they would be compressed.

Is there anything that made you think they might be?

HTH

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site