"Alan Gauld" <alan.ga...@btinternet.com> wrote

Some of this might just be what we are used to too. Remember that
IDEs as such didn't really come into existence till about 12-15 years

Sigh! I'm getting old....

In fact the first thing I would call an IDE in the modern sense was probably Turbo Pascal v4 (previous versions didn't include a debugger) which came out in 1987 according to Wikipedia. So in fact IDEs have been around on PCs for about 22 years! But they certainly weren't common on *nix until about the mid 90's (Galaxy, Object/CodeCenter and HP Softbench being very expensive exceptions!)

[ And of course Smalltalk80 had a very complete IDE in 1980,
(See Squeek screenshots for some idea of how it differs from modern GUIs!) but Smalltalk has always been an exception to the rules! ]

Apologies for the misinformation.

Alan G