On 13 Jul 2009, at 22:04, "Alan Gauld" <alan.ga...@btinternet.com> wrote:

That's one way and you can find an example and some advice
on how to handle subclassing in the OOP topic of my tutor.

Wow; thanks! That tutorial was really useful, I will have to check out the rest
of the site now.

I am sure this has an obvious and easy answer but I just cannot find
it anywhere!

Actually no. Saving and retrieving object instances (known as
persisting objects in OOP speak) was one of the biggest challenges
facing the OOP paradigm when it got started in the real world. Many
different solutions have evolved from flat text files to dedicated Object
databases, and everyting in between, but it remains a task frought
with difficulty, especially on large scale projects.

Good to know I wasn't being totally dense. Now that I have got the pickle thing
under my belt I am going to have a go at sqllite.

Thanks again everybody.