I am doing some data massage, minor mapping and filtering really and i find that i have a lot of this kind of kludgy code:

# -- -------------------------
def filt_seq(inseq):
        out_list = []
        for item in inseq:
                # 38 needs to be mapped on to 34 as we don't have a 38 in our
grid
                if item == 38:
                        item = item - 4
                        out_list.append(item)
                # We also don't have a 40, but we do have a 39. Map that sucka
                elif item == 40:
                        item = item - 1
                        out_list.append(item)
# if we get values that fall in good places, just pass them on to the out seq
                else:
                        out_list.append(item)
        return out_list

To do some basic jiggering of some out of range off grid data.

There has to be a better, more elegant, more flexible less brute force more pythonic way to do this kind of mapping no?

cheers,

-kp--