On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan...@behnel.de> wrote:

> Nicola De Quattro wrote:
> > So I've to open an image (various formats, first I could need only
> > .fits), to process the image in order to select the interesting strip
> > containing the star and the spectrum (first image of the link posted,
> > but I hope I can select the strip not only in the horizontal line but
> > I will rotate the image), to obtain a graph like the second and third
> > image (this may be simple, it plots the value of luminosity of each
> > point), calibrate the image using periodical table of elements as
> > shown in 6th image in order to color the graph.
>
> Without looking further into your problem, there are two (main) general
> purpose image manipulation libraries for Python (that I know of) that you
> may want to look at: PIL and ImageMagick. At least ImageMagick supports
> FITS.

This is definitely a project you could do with python. It might take a fair
amount of programming, but it should certainly take less with python than
most other languages. Especially with the implementation of a GUI. I'd
suggest PyGTK+ simply because of the rather extensive documentation. I've
used both Tkinter and PyGTK and the latter is much easier to deal with when
using images, though YMMV.

The most difficult task would be analyzing the image and possibly some of
the graph generation.

HTH,
Wayne