Wayne wrote:
Hi, I think I recall seeing this here, but I wanted to make sure I'm
correct.
Is the best way to test for an empty list just test for the truth value?
I.e.

mylist = [1,2,3]

while mylist:
   print mylist.pop()

Thanks,
Wayne

My take is simple:  Use the above form if you *know* that mylist is in
fact a list.  If you don't know its type for sure (the name is a clue,
but not conclusive ;-) ) then use a more specific test.

In your case, you know it's a list, or least something that supports
pop().  So your form should be great.

DaveA

Hello all,

Just a newbie question, but when would you test for an empty list? Is it part of a code error detection or an error check to make sure that there is user input?

Couldn't you just use something like:

while len(mylist) > 0:
   continue program
else:
   print "mylist is empty

or is my lack of python knowledge preventing me from seeing the meaning of the question?

Thanks in advance,

Katt