"MARCUS NG" <marker...@gmail.com> wrote

Currently nothing works due to my limited understanding.

That's a pretty vague description of the problem.
What exactly happens?
Does the file get copied?
Do you get error messages? If so what?

I am wondering if my syntax is wrong or am I missing anything?

If the syntax is wrong Python should tell you.
Does it?

The more information you give us the better able we
are to diagnose the problem.

the code is as such. also if there is a better code, I am definitely open to
it. If it is good, can you also explain steps?

Without any more info I'll pass along a couple of observations.

###########

import shutil, zipfile
shutil.copyfile('C:\Users\blueman\Desktop\myTest1.0.zip',
'C:\Users\blueman\Desktop\allFiles')

The first thing is the use of DOS style path names.
You need to do one of the following:

1) Use raw strings - prefix the string with an r
r'C:\Users\blueman\Desktop\allFiles')

2) Escape the backslashes
'C:\\Users\\blueman\\Desktop\\allFiles')

3) Use Unix style slashes:
'C:/Users/blueman/Desktop/allFiles')

Otherwise Python sees the \ as an escape character
and tries to interpret \U, \b \D and \a as special characters
like \n etc

zipfilepath='C:\Users\blueman\Desktop\allFiles\myTest1.0.zip'
extractiondir='C:\Users\blueman\Desktop\allFiles\test'

Same here

def extract(zipfilepath, extractiondir):
   zip = zipfile(zipfilepath)
   zip.extractall(path=extractiondir)
   print 'it works'

While puuting things in functions is usuually a good idea, in this case
you only call it once so I wouldn't bother - at least not until I had the
program working

extract()

You don't pas any arguments but you defined the functin to
take 2 - Python should tell you about this.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site