I want to share a couple of insights that I had getting started with Python that I did not come across in the literature all that often. I am discovering that there are two primary supporting tools needed in order to create an efficient and productive Python programming workspace: IDE and Version Control. I didn't realize at first how important these supporting tools for Python would be. If Python is your first programming language, you will have to learn how to use a good text editor or IDE (Integrated Development Environment). If you use textpad, it gets old very fast. I have chosen vim as my IDE and I added a few key plugins that I think help a lot (snipMate, surround, nerd-tree, and repeat). I believe that snipMate is a plugin made specifically for Python users on vim. Among other features, it auto indents your code which is very nice.

So now that I can do some Python scripting, I started to notice that my scripts were not very organized. Collaboration of code is difficult. I had multiple copies of the same script in different directories on my computer, and I did not have a good way to really keep track. This is the wrong way. Version Control Systems are tried and true technologies for collaborating with others (or even yourself) on your code. After some research, I have decided to go with Git. I have never used version control before, so I don't know the distinctions of the various systems out there. I chose Git mainly because github.com is really great. Some MAJOR open source (and closed) projects are happening on there and you can download the open source code so very easily. I am told Mercurial is good too, Bazaar and SVN also came up in my research.

Obviously, no tool can think for you. The real programming work of course is going on in your brain. I am curious what combination of IDE and Version Control System you use and also perhaps, what other tools I should be looking at as well.

Thanks.