The code below is a typical example of matplotlib use. I've used it both in xp and win7 in IDLE. It produces the required plos and stop with the plot display. If I close the plot window with the x in the upper right corner, the shell window is left open. I have to do the same to close it. If I run it again, and look at the shell window, it looks hung up with the cursor below the >>> prompt. Ctrl-c doesn't break it, and I have to resort to x again. There must be some mechanism to insert below that allows the program to continue on and thus complete. Supposedly fig.close() will but I've put it in several places and have gotten unknown attribute to figure.
Comments?

================
from matplotlib.pyplot import figure, show
from numpy import arange, pi, cos, sin, pi
from numpy.random import rand

# unit area ellipse
rx, ry = 3., 1.
area = rx * ry * pi
theta = arange(0, 2*pi+0.01, 0.1)
verts = zip(rx/area*cos(theta), ry/area*sin(theta))

x,y,s,c = rand(4, 30)
s*= 10**2.

fig = figure()
ax = fig.add_subplot(111)
ax.scatter(x,y,s,c,marker=None,verts =verts)

show()

--
My life in two words. "Interrupted Projects." -- WTW (quote originator)