>> I need a simple way to encrypt and decrypt some strings with a key.

Did you have any other requirements? Any specific algorithms or key lengths?

If you need real encryption, you might check out a 3rd party module
named 'PyCrypto'. It offers an implementation of the AES algorithm. A
less eloquent approach - you could also wrap the Unix command
'openssl' with a python process. Whether you can get these libraries
will depend on where you live. Strong encryption is still strictly
controlled in some regions. There are code examples in the 'README'
file of pycrypto. There are probably other AES implementations out
there as well. However, the only FIPS certified library I know of is
openssl.

-Modulok-