I am trying to output a list of addresses that do not match a list of State abbreviations. What I have so far is:

def main():
    infile = open("list.txt", "r")
    for line in infile:
        state = line[146:148]
omit_states = ['KS', 'KY', 'MA', 'ND', 'NE', 'NJ', 'PR', 'RI', 'SD', 'VI', 'VT', 'WI']
        for n in omit_states:
            if state != n:
                print line
    infile.close()
main()

This outputs multiple duplicate lines. The strange thing is that if I change 'if state == n:' then I correctly output all matching lines. But I don't want that. I want to output all lines that do NOT match the States in the omit_states list.

I am probably overlooking something very simple. Thanks in advance.