Mmm ok. So all strings in the app are unicode by default?

Depends on your python version. If you use python 2.x, you have to use a u before the string:

s = u'Hallo World'

Do you know if there is a function/method i can use to check encoding of a string?

AFAIK such a function doesn't exist. Python3 solves this by using unicode strings by default.

Patrick, ok. I should check if it's possible to save unicode strings in the DB.

It is more an issue of your database adapter, than of your database.

Do you think i'd better set my db to utf8? I don't need latin1, it's just the default value.

I think the encoding of the db doesn't matter much in this case, but I would prefer utf-8 over latin-1. If you get an utf-8 encoded raw byte string you call .decode('utf-8'). In case of an latin-1 encoded string you call .decode('latin1')

Thankyou

Giorgio
- Patrick