"hithere there" <pyli...@gmail.com> wrote
#! /usr/bin/env python

import pgdb, sys

db = pgdb.connect (dsn='192.168.0.1:familydata',
   user='postgres', password='')
cursor = db.cursor ()

cursor.execute ("select * from names")

rows = cursor.fetchall ()

for i in (rows):
   print i

#viewtable (db)

No idea what viewtable does, never seen it before...
The only case I found on Google was in a tutorial which defined viewtable() as a function, it wasn't in the pgdb module...

#sys.stdout.write()

This writes nothing to stdout. Apparently successfully from your comment below.

Try:

sys.stdout.write(str(i))

The code as is will display the data to the console.  I have read the
db API 2.0 at python.org.  The problem is viewtable (db) will not work
or sys.stdout.write () to write the table data to the console screen.
What am I doing wrong here or what do I need to do different?

The print is writing to the console I assume? That is the normal method.

Can anyone point me to a book specificly for pgdb, python and postgre?

It doesn't look lie you need a postgres specific boook but just to go through the standard Python tutorial. It should make most things clear.

Last thing is can I define the classes in a separate files and
reference them?  Kinda like code reuse in .Net?  I new to Python so
bear with me.

Yes, just define them in a file then import that file as a module. The standard tutorial explains that too.

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site