Giorgio wrote:
2010/3/7 Dave Angel <da...@ieee.org>

Those two lines don't make any sense by themselves.  Show us some context,
and we can more sensibly comment on them.  And try not to use names that
hide built-in keywords, or Python stdlib names.

Hi Dave,

I'm considering Amazon SimpleDB as an alternative to PGSQL, but i need to
store blobs.

Amazon's FAQs says that:

"Q: What kind of data can I store?
You can store any UTF-8 string data in Amazon SimpleDB. Please refer
to the Amazon
Web Services Customer Agreement <http://aws.amazon.com/agreement> for
details."

This is the problem. Any idea?

DaveA

Giorgio

You still didn't provide the full context. Are you trying to do store binary data, or not?

Assuming you are, you could do the UUENCODE suggestion I made. Or use base64:

base64.encodestring(/s/) wlll turn binary data into (larger) binary data, also considered a string. The latter is ASCII, so it's irrelevant whether it's considered utf-8 or otherwise. You store the resulting string in your database, and use base64.decodestring(s) to reconstruct your original.

There's 50 other ways, some more efficient, but this may be the simplest.

DaveA