Eike Welk wrote:
On Sunday March 28 2010 19:37:41 AG wrote:
Now that's looking very much along the lines of what I had in mind
Eike.  Very pricey ... might have to sit on that one for a while and
scout around for a used copy.  I can certainly use the on-line resource
for as many pages as it allows one to access until I either find a
cheaper version or perhaps win a lottery!!
Maybe you can get it as an inter library loan. Buying it is unnecessary; once you have some knowledge of the tools, you get everywhere you want with the online documentation and some questions in the relevant mailing lists.

The idea of an inter-library loan is a sound one. I hadn't thought of that, so will give that a try.

As an alternative you could try the online documentation at the Scipy website. Numpy and Scipy are the basic libraries for numerical computation with Python. The material at the website is not as good as the Langtangen book, and it covers far fewer different subjects, but it might be good enough to get you started.

I've just begun with numpy and matlibplot (pyplot), so these are good suggestions.

First read the "Getting Started" section. Then look at the "Cookbook" articles and study some that are relevant for you. http://www.scipy.org/

Thanks.  These are leads worth following up on.
Additionally subscribe to the Numpy/Scipy mailing lists. You could ask questions how to solve specific problems. The people there are usually very helpful.
But, yep, this looks like what I had in mind - so anything else like
this would be good as well.

I'm very glad that I could be helpful.

Eike.

Thank you again.