"Kevin Kirton" <kpkir...@gmail.com> wrote
I was just wondering if anyone here can recommend any freeware program
that has been written in python and for which the source code is
available.

IDLE? The IDE that comes with Python ias wtten in Python and the source comes as part of the standard library.

But if thats not enough try both sourceforge and the PyGame web sites.
On sourceforge search for projects using python... DIA is one that springs to mind(a Visio type drawing program)

PyGame has lots of Python games you can download, several with source.

Basically I just want to see a program that does something relatively
simple and straightforward, but something that is "real world," I mean
something that people actually use, hopefully something that comes
with it's own installer and GUI.

You can use the python install tools or drive them with something higher level like Wize(?) or Installshield (or the free InstallMaker for Windows that I used to use... I don't know if its still extant however!)

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site