This is so trivial (or should be), but I can't figure it out.

I'm trying to do what in vim is

That is, "find a number followed by an x and put a "*" in between the number and the x"

So, if the string is "6443x - 3", I'll get back "6443*x - 3"

I won't write down all the things I've tried, but suffice it to say, nothing has done it. I just found myself figuring out how to call sed and realized that this should be a one-liner in python too. Any ideas? I've read a lot of documentation, but I just can't figure it out. Thanks.

--
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.