"Mark Young" <marky1...@gmail.com> wrote

I searched the internet, and found someone suggest adding spaces after each
number, which indeed works properly.

answer = 6 .__sub__(7 .__neg__())
answer
13

Why does this work? I don't even understand why python recognizes that I'm trying to access the numbers' __sub__ and __neg__ methods, I would think that the spaces would cause it to not work, but obviously it works just
fine.

I assume that's a hard coded hack in python to avoid some ambiguity with decimal points. But I'm not sure. And I'd have thought it should be possible
to disambiguate without the space...

But that's my guess. I've certainly never come across this "feature" before.

Alan G.