On Mon, 2010-07-26 at 14:03 +0100, Dipo Elegbede wrote:
> what ook would you recommend for a beginner?

I am a django beginner myself. I did the tutorial first
(http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/intro/tutorial01/) and now I am
very happy with "Practical Django Projects":
http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Django-Projects-Experts-Development/dp/1430219386

I assume that the fact I have a bit more than a year of "fooling around"
with Python (2.x series) makes this book easy to follow. If you
contrarily are not familiar with Python syntax then it might not be the
best choice.

As already mentioned by others, the Django book (http://djangobook.com)
is also a an excellent (and free!) alternative.

I've also begun to read "Pro Django" (http://prodjango.com/), which is
another excellent book, providing material to learn to leverage Python
itself better (beside Django). However - to put it as its author does -
"Pro Django isn’t for the faint of heart. It’s not for people who are
new to Django, and especially not those who are new to Python".

Best luck with your learning!
Mac.