Sorry I hit the send button instead of the save button

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Bob Gailer <bgai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Roelof Wobben <rwob...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> hello,
>>
>> Im following this page :
>> http://openbookproject.net/thinkcs/python/english2e/ch17.html
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> What went wrong here.

 IMHO you are tackling a very large program while still not getting
Python basics and still not walking through the program

I once again am weary of holding your hand.

I suggest (again) that you walk through the program BY HAND step by
step, analyzing and understanding what happens at each step.

There are so many problems in your code even if I told you exactly
what's wrong you will just get the next error-or-unexpected result
then the next, and so on.

I will start you:

game = CardGame()
# leads to
class CardGame:
   def __init__(self):
       self.deck = Deck()
#leads to
class Deck:
   def __init__(self):
       self.cards = [] # an empty list is bound to the instance
attribute "cards"
       for suit in range(4):
           for rank in range(1, 14):
               self.cards.append(Card(suit, rank)) # one-by-one Card
instances are appended to self.cards
#leads to
 class Card:
   suits = ["Clubs", "Diamonds", "Hearts", "Spades"] # a list of suit
names is bound to class attribute suits
   ranks = ["narf", "Ace", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7",
            "8", "9", "10", "Jack", "Queen", "King"] # a list of rank
names is bound to class attribute ranks
   def __init__(self, suit=0, rank=0):
       self.suit = suit # the suit number passed as an argument is
bound to the Card instance suit
       self.rank = rank # the rank number passed as an argument is
bound to the Card instance rank
       # the result is a Card instance with two attributes, suit and rank.

And so forth. Laborious? Time consuming? Lots of detail? Yes. Most of
us have gone thru the same thing in our education.

Regarding the error:

AttributeError: Deck instance has no attribute 'pop'

You should be able by now to know what that means and why it is happening.

A lot of us on this list are spending a lot of time "helping" you. I
for one again am imploring you to spend more time gaining
understanding and asking us for less help of this nature.

Others may disagree - that is my opinion.

--
Bob Gailer
919-636-4239