On 10/6/2010 11:58 AM Joel Goldstick said...
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Emile van Sebille<em...@fenx.com>  wrote:

On 10/6/2010 9:25 AM Eduardo Vieira said...
<snip>

  Of course this solution is simpler:
extracted = a[a.index("i")+1:]
But I didn't want to build a list in memory with "readlines()" in the
case of a file.

This is what I do unless the files are _really big_

For-me-really-big-is-over-200Mb-ish-ly y'rs,

Emile

Why not loop with readline() and then the slice.  That way only one line at
time in memory

Because I'd consider that a premature optimization. I don't commonly worry about managing the memory footprint until there's a reason to. I've found that you can work to minimize the footprint, but as it's often indeterminate, you can't really control it. So I don't.

Emile